Garment Reverse Engineering : Part 2 (with photobombing cat!)

So, continuing from yesterday’s post about how I reverse engineered a favourite garment of mine, here are the pics (with photobombing cat) to prove that it does indeed fit me:

Yes, I’m rather camera shy 😶.

5 new things I learnt in this Adventure In Sewing:

1) French seams – which I used for the back centre seam,

2) Hong Kong Seams – which I used to seal the side seams on the inside, 

3) Patch pockets – which I’d never attempted before, 

4) Ribbon ties – I used my own homemade bias binding to create the ties for the back, and

5) Side loops for the ties – OK, in retrospect I should’ve sewn the side loops with their ends adjacent to each other, rather than on top of each other, but it still looks just as nice.

I’ve also found that I actually love making bias binding, using a very handy continuous bias binding technique that I discovered online. Sure, it takes a fair bit of time to prepare and set up, but after that it’s just a matter of sewing 2 seams (yes, really), and then doing a very clever Moebius strip manoeuvre in cutting out the bias binding. Here’s the link, if you’re interested.

I’m so happy with the results of this little experiment, that I’m actually going to make another one, in a patterned and more colourful fabric. This one was just an experiment. Wish me luck! 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s